problems connecting to yahoo server with pidgin under ubuntu

Few days ago I noticed that pidgin is unable to connect to my yahoo account. I decided to have a look at the matter and realized that Yahoo has changed the way of the authentication as part of upgrading their software.
pidgin released a new version that uses the new method (2.5.7). so I had to upgrade my 2.5.2 to the latest version.

There was something wrong when i tried to follow the instructions on pidgin website. So I went to downloading the source code, following the instuctions in the INSTALL file to compile, build and install pidgin.

I needed also to upgrade libpurple to 2.5.7 by:

apt-get remove --purge libpurple0
apt-get install libpurple0

Finally, I was able to connect to my yahoo account :)

Comments

Ahmed El Gamil said…
Thanks mohammed, worked fine on intrepid here ..
mahmoud said…
glad it helped

Popular posts from this blog

Ruby script for downloading rails casts

Stress Testing with Siege and Bombard, know your limits

Exporting data from remote mysql instance in csv, using mysql client and sed